The CGHS Newspaper

Fall Formal Fashion

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Formal Fashion

Photo taken by Walter Krehel

Photo taken by Walter Krehel

Photo taken by Walter Krehel

Photo taken by Walter Krehel

Seeing the green and gold balloons gracefully fly across the room and the blasting music getting people on their feet, it is clear that the 2017 fall formal was a fun time for everyone.. This year, the All School Council came to the decision of a unique theme for the dance; mardi gras. The students of Cedar Grove High School did there best to create an ensemble under this theme and let’s just say there was definitely a few trends that were visible.

The girls’ outfits ranged from tight to loose, short to long, and heels to boots. When the word “formal” comes to mind, some may have been confused at what the appropriate attire would be, but for the most part, it was a free the knee kind of night. Not only were the cocktail dresses absolutely stunning, but it seems like everyone was able to show their own style and personality through their dress.

A major fall trend this year was lace and it is definitely here to stay all season long. The laced dresses gave an elegant, yet cozy appearance, which sums up the fall season to a tea. Gina Grimes ‘20 rocked a beautiful maroon lace dress that was not only lace, but body-fitted (you’ll know what I’m talking about in the next paragraph). Another captivating fabric that has made a surprise comeback is velvet. Do you remember when everyone was wearing velvet and couldn’t get enough of it? Yeah, me neither. However, it seems like it has become a trend for the fashion industry and the students of Cedar Grove are into it as this fabric brings a soft yet intriguing appearance. Seniors, Julie Steckel ‘18 and David Lozano ‘18, both wore a velvet based ensemble that looked so delicate and comfortable. Steckel ‘18 came to the dance with a loose dress with a velvet texture that was a variation of blue. No one would have expected guys to wear velvet, but even they are enjoying it as David Lozano ‘18 wore a dark purple, velvet suit with a white handkerchief at the pocket.  

Looking back at the dance, there was definitely an array of body-fitted styles and halter dresses. A body fitted dress shows off one’s physique while at the same time giving confidence. Besides this, halter tops have made a dominant statement in the fashion world, especially formal wear. Just by seeing a large amount of girls during the formal rocking this style, it is quite hard not to agree that halter dresses have shined through this season. While creating a modest look, it also adds a daring aspect, revealing the shoulders and collarbone.   

Overall, whether you prefer to join the fashion trends or be bold and stand out, we can all agree that the fall formal brought out some of most gorgeous looks. Who knows what the future holds for fashion, but it will surely continue to get crazier by the years and my bets have already be made.