The CGHS Newspaper

So Bright Senior Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

So Bright Senior Night

Photo by Walter Krehel

Photo by Walter Krehel

Photo by Walter Krehel

Photo by Walter Krehel

Gina Grimes, Sophmore Reporter/Editor

Senior night is one of the most emotional nights of a student athlete’s career. Walking off either the court or the field for the last time is very hard for most people. The bonds that teammates make in high school are the ones that will never be forgotten. As Katie Sickinger 18’, captain of the soccer team, stated, “The close bond that we all have, making us all basically a family,” will be one of the things she will miss the most. “It is surreal, you don’t realize when you stand there freshman year how fast highschool goes, and that it is going to go quicker than you could imagine, then it hits you when you are a senior.” The girls soccer team had honored their seniors by decorating the stands with black and gold decorations and posters that recognized the two seniors they have.Teammates also had made “fat heads” of their two seniors. Before the game had started, like almost all the other sports, there was a rose ceremony recognizing the seniors.

Joe Kang ‘18, captain of the boys soccer team, had also stated that it really hit him. “On senior night,” he added, “when they called out my name, I felt like I was shaken up because it was my last year playing soccer.” Senior night is that one game where everyone begins to realize that they will no longer have the pleasure of playing with the teammates they shared their best and worst games with, the teammates that quickly became like family, the ones that influenced and encouraged you to become the athlete that they are today.

Besides cross country, all of the fall sports honored their seniors with a rose ceremony. The girls varsity volleyball team had a senior night recognizing each and everyone of this years seniors. The night started out by calling names of each one of the 2018 class seniors and being escorted by their parents, they were given roses.The gym had been decorated with black and gold balloons and black and gold

decorations. Both the football players and the cheerleaders shared a senior night. Like all of the other sports, both teams recognized their seniors by calling out the names of the senior along with their parents and gave our roses for each of the players. All three of these sports had a large outcome of other students coming out to support these teams.

Along with this, senior night is not just emotional for the seniors that are graduating, but the underclassmen as well. Sophomore, Katelyn Downs, mentioned that she will miss having, “Two seniors that always cared about everyone, and two people that helped bring everyone together so well.” Many underclassmen have agreed that they will be heartbroken when this school year comes to an end due to the friendship made with the graduating class of 2018. Having such a close friendship makes it very difficult for them to say goodbye.