The CGHS Newspaper

Filed under News

Out with the old…

Back to Article
Back to Article

Out with the old…

Mr. Tedesco working hard in his new room, B205 Photo by Amanda Martin

Every new school year bears new students, new teachers, and most refreshingly, new academic courses.  Being a smaller school, Cedar Grove doesn’t have as large of a course selection as some other high schools.  However, each year, our program of studies seems to grow bigger and bigger, and  Introduction to Computer Science is the latest addition to the high school’s array of course offerings.

Being the second computer-based class to grace Cedar Grove High School, Introduction to Computer Science stands alongside Computer Programming. Both provide different subject matter and a diverse set of computer-based skills that can be applicable to future careers.

In speaking with Mr. Tedesco, the new staff member teaching both courses, our staff was able to better recognize the differences between the two and learn about his experience as a new teacher to Cedar Grove thus far.  To Tedesco, “Computer programming is fun because you get to make stuff.”  This creative element of computer programming is not the only intriguing thing in the course, it also acts as “the tool of computer science; you use computer programming and you [can] expand from there,” Tedesco noted, making the two courses perfect compliments to one another.

Not only is this Tedesco’s first year teaching Computer Science, it is also his first year as an official teacher at Cedar Grove. His transition into being a teacher has certainly been a positive one, however, he claims that being a teacher is a culmination of sleeping less and worrying more, yet admits it is nice to be busy.  

As a first-year course, Computer Science has already filled up two class periods and will presumably continue to grow in popularity as it establishes itself with the help of Mr. Tedesco and the students.  Afterall, with the importance of the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) field steadily increasing job-wise and life-wise, courses such as Computer Science and Computer Programming act as crucial implements in schools around the country and around the world.