CGHS Particpiates in National Walkout

Walkout-turned-sit-in allows students to hold memorial

Back to Article
Back to Article

CGHS Particpiates in National Walkout

Hunter Romanko '18 preparing to speak in front of students and faculty.

Dylan Giacobbe

Dylan Giacobbe

Dylan Giacobbe

In light of the one month anniversary of the recent shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida that took the lives of 17 students and teachers, Cedar Grove High School students held a memorial to honor each of the victims on Wednesday..

Senior Hunter Romanko and the peers who helped organize the memorial worked together with the administration to create a safe environment for students participating. Stressing a diversion from being a political event, Romanko and involved students encouraged others to participate in the memorial.

The event began at 10 a.m. with students going to the auditorium instead of class at the beginning of the period. The memorial began with a speech by Romanko explaining the nature of the event — that the original goal was to organize a protest, but that through discussion with principal Rick Mangili they decided on holding a vigil instead.

“I’d like to thank the administration for giving us the opportunity to express our first amendment rights,” Romanko spoke. “We are allowed to stand up for what we believe in in this school,” explaining his gratitude for the environment the school has provided through organizing this event.

Lasting seventeen minutes for each of the seventeen victims of the shooting, the memorial had volunteer students read one victim’s name and a short passage about their respective life followed by a moment of silence for all seventeen victims.

After reading all the names, baskets were put at the entrance to accept donations for Everytown for Gun Safety, an organization that funds gun reform within communities and public policy, though the donations were entirely voluntary. Students, upon leaving the auditorium, were allowed to stop and give money before returning to class.

With nearly 200 students present as well as other Cedar Grove school administrators including superintendent Michael Featherman, students were able to safely and freely remember the victims of the deadly shooting together.