The CGHS Newspaper

LipSync Surprise :D

Back to Article
Back to Article

LipSync Surprise :D

Mia Romanazzi, Senior editor/reporter

On Friday January 12, CGHS held the annual LipSync battle. Each grade competed with its own unique theme, to which they picked songs to lip sync and dance to in effort to make the audience laugh and hopefully win their class some money.

The juniors took the audience on a rollercoaster ride of emotions with their makeups and breakups, the sophomores tried out for every sports team, the freshman flipped through the TV guide and danced to a montage of old television theme songs, and the seniors put on their very own production of Jeopardy.

The scoring was based on a number of different components of each grades performance. The classes were judged on their costumes and props, fun on stage, dancing, and of course lipsyncing. When the results were announced, nobody was really surprised that the senior class took first, but the order that followed was quite unexpected to say the least.  

After a hilarious portrayal of Disney’s best TV shows and then some, the freshman class shocked the competition when they came in second place. Although they only had 8 people and Mr. Coster, the class of 2021 put on a show that would be talked about for the rest of the weekend. Between Dario Bryant ‘21 crossdressing and Moe Guarino ‘21 tackling Brian Catanzarite ‘21 off stage, their performance captured the hearts of the students and the judges and was proven unforgettable.“The win surely came with some controversy and flack from the junior class who unfortunately secured the third-place ranking.” Maggie Brancato ‘19 thinks that the juniors should have been more prepared than they were, but still said that she believed “[They] deserved better than third.”

The expectation that the results would go in age order was not met when the freshman surpassed the two grades above them and came in second. Although they were a small group, the class of 2021’s comedic take on all of their dances paired with the obvious fun they were having on stage, gave them the boost they needed to earn the extra points. The class of 2018, finally beat the juniors and prevailed to get their first win.