The CGHS Newspaper

Drama in the Drama Department

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drama in the Drama Department

Cast members learning the music to

Cast members learning the music to "Into the Woods"

Photo by Peter Corso

Photo by Peter Corso

Photo by Peter Corso

Amanda Martino, Production Manager/Senior Reporter/editor

With the inevitable pun fully and completely intended, there seems to be a bout of drama in the drama department regarding the Spring musical.

The audition process was conducted differently than in the past which created some mixed feelings among prospective participants going into auditions.  

Although audition day was announced far in advance, the actual musical that students were auditioning for was left unannounced, which brought about some weariness. Not knowingly trying out for any part in particular, each student was to select a song and monologue of their choice to perform for the judges. Anyone who auditioned was aiming to get a spot in either the junior or senior company and avoid being cut; the junior company consists of ensemble roles, while the senior company is for the lead roles.  

Regarding the interview process, Peter Corso ‘19 expressed, “It was definitely a difficult process, it was new, so there was a lot of skepticism around it,” which is to be expected. With the best possible intentions, “[Jessen’s] goal was to make it a dramaless year, which is almost impossible for high school students to do,” added Corso.  He believes the idea was good in theory, just not specifically for high school students.  

Once the companies were announced and rehearsals started, the casts were informed they were to be performing “Into the Woods” this coming spring and began reading lines and singing for various parts in said musical. The goal was to have the parts emerge organically over the course of a few days of this process by having the cast members take turns reading and singing.

The cast list came out, and consequently, an entirely new set of concerns did as well.  When asked how she felt about the part she was given, Justice Abud ‘18 conveyed that she was not entirely happy with [it] “because [she’s] a senior and was assigned a part that’s not very relevant in the show.” Abud notes that she does not think that because she’s a senior she is entitled to a part that is “relevant” in the show, but she does believe that due to her dedication and unwavering commitment to the shows all four of her years at CGHS “waiting her turn to get a lead and then [not getting one] made [her] unhappy with the part.”

Devon Snider-Smith ‘18 shared a slightly similar frustration with her role. She states how “it is [her] last year doing the musical and [her] part doesn’t go on stage at all,” so she too is not entirely happy with the role she was assigned. Snider-Smith claims to have put in the effort in the practices, but feels like in the end she could’ve done better if she was given a different part.

On the other hand, Corso is certainly excited about the role he was assigned. When asked his feelings regarding it, a smile lit up his face as he exclaimed he “has never been a lead in the shows before” [and is] extremely excited to be working with everyone involved.

It is evident that there are mixed feelings amongst the cast members of the fantasy musical, yet it is only expected that it will be brilliant regardless of this initial uneasiness.  

All of the participants “The Pride” spoke to seemed to agree; Snider-Smith “still thinks it’s going to be a great show, and the people who did get the parts that they got are going to do great.”  Abud also addressed her excitement and jokingly assured she was “going to shine either way” and was set on being the best step sister she could be.

Despite the tensions brought about through the unconventional audition process followed by unavoidable casting disappointments, once performed, “Into the Woods” will become yet another testament to the excellence and professionalism of the CGHS drama department.