The CGHS Newspaper

Spanish NHS International Dinner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spanish NHS International Dinner

Dylan Giacobbe, Editor-in-Chief

Hola! Ciao! Ni hao! This Tuesday, the Spanish National Honor Society hosted an international dinner to say, “Hello,” to many different cultures through the sharing of a wide assortment of dishes from all countries. Students in the Honor Society, with the help of its adviser Mrs. Surraco, planned, organized, advertised, and cooked all the food for the fundraising event, inviting friends and family to enjoy the buffet of various foods and drinks.

While the students were encouraged to share their personal cultural background through their food, many also wanted to explore other cultures through their cooking. The dishes available to the patrons of Tuesday night’s event ranged from lasagna to dumplings to empanadas and much more, making sure there was something new for everyone to try.

Spanish Honor Society member Nick Lopresti ‘18 discussed the importance of hosting an event like this aside from just eating good food. “It’s important to embrace everyone’s culture,” he explained, “Living in such a diverse country —  you know, a melting pot — it’s good to recognize everyone and where they come from”. But, of course the food is meant to be enjoyed, too, and Lopresti had no trouble picking favorites. “The quesada, hands down. It’s a family favorite.”

To get some more information on the goal of the event, the Honor Society’s current adviser, Mrs. Surraco, discussed the purpose of the fair. Like Lopresti, Surraco explained, “I really think it’s important to celebrate people’s heritage.” She further expressed, “It’s important to be proud of who you are, and if you can share that with people, in this case with food, I just think it’s a wonderful thing.”

But beyond the blending of cultures through culinary collaboration, the event also had a fundraising goal it sought to achieve through its five dollar admission fee. “Every year the National Honor Society supports the Heifer International fund,” she explained, “And what the money goes to is buying an animal that will help sustain a poor community.” Providing an example, Surraco explained, “If you buy a cow, people will go to that community to teach them how to produce milk which they can sell, and the money comes back and they can spend it in the community.”

By the end of the night, the Spanish National Honor Society raised $420 to be put towards buying an animal for an impoverished community. But at its core, the international food fair helped provide not only endless amounts of home-cooked food, but more importantly a better understanding of different cultures among the students and parents involved through the food being shared. And to it’s success, those who attended walked away from the fair with both a greater sense of the multicultural backgrounds of their peers and, of course, a full stomach.

Dylan Giacobbe
Joe Kang ’18 and Mrs. Surraco serving a wide array of cultural foods.